Sunday, June 13, 2010

Expanding the business - Blacksmithing

With around 10k gold in liquid capital, it was about time to powerlevel a new profession.
After all the praise I've seen blacksmithing get in these blogs, I wanted to give it a try.
My 80DK was chosen for this task.

Powerleveling blacksmithing was a mixed experience, it was somewhat reasonable until I got to the TBC-mats, namely Fel Iron. The prices were so ridicolous that I actually had to wait for a few days to move on - and ended up having a friend offering to farm the 180 bars needed.

During this period i was preparing for belt buckle dominance, and bought in total 5000 saronite bars, none higher than 40g/stack, and most of them around 34-35g/stack.
Got around 1k Eternal Earth around the 3g-mark, 1k Eternal Water around the 2g-mark, and 1k shadow rounded up to about 5g.

That gives my average buckle a productioncost of 18g, and boy do they sell. On my server a buckle is torn off the AH every 6-7 minutes during the hours when most people play. There is some varying competition, but it's not often you see a buckle below 30g.

Since I don't have any TOC-recipes, not to mention ICC-recipes, I have to get what I can out what the trainer provides. Enchantingrods are recommended several places, and not without reason.
  • Fel Iron Rod
  • Adamantite Rod
  • Arcanite Rod
  • Eternium Rod

These are the rods I'm currently selling, and they all sell at a price from 50-130g with close to no competition. My particular favorite is the Arcanite Rod - there is zero competition, and it's so cheap. I sell several a day for 100g, and 3 arcane crystals + 3 thorium bars is like 12-13g on my server.
In addition, I've respecced my Alchemist from elixir mastery to transmute (1 week ago), and it procs off the arcanite-transmute, and I also had a gem-proc the second day. Nice!

Decided to focus on expanding further into other professions rather than spending alot of time grinding BS-recipes for now, but I allready see a nice profit from buckles and rods.

Initial thoughts on blacksmithing:

  • Stockpile! It's amazing how many saronite bars and eternals you can burn through, buy everything you can get your hands on when prices are low. Team china + team casual is often dumping stocks during the weekends, so make sure to snatch a truckload. If storage is an issue you can always store some of it as premade buckles (1 stack buckles = 7 stack of mats), they are going to sell anyway.
  • Belt buckles are awesome, even more so because they stack to 20
  • Very little time required for upkeep, allthough afk-crafting of buckles will take some time.

Definately an interesting profession, looking forward to explore its potential further.

Next: Expanding the business - Tailoring

No comments:

Post a Comment