Sunday, June 13, 2010

Expanding the business - Tailoring

I figured I needed a tailor aswell, first and foremost to check out the markets of bags (Frostweave and Netherweave), and spellthreads.


This was to be my DKs seconds profession, and powerleveling tailoring with an enchanter to DE the crap you make was rather unproblematic. After selling off all the mats afterwards, be it in scrolls or raw mats - i probably spent about 1k to reach 450 tailoring.

I had stockpiled alot of cloth, so I made 50 of each bag, and started experimenting with the QA3-groups for each bag, respectively.

In summary:
  • It takes 1 stack of Netherweave to make a bag + 1 Rune Thread (50s) 
  • It takes 3 stacks of Frostweave to mage a bag + 12 infinite dust + 2 Eternium Threads (5g) 
  • Making bags take truckloads of time, especially Frostweave bags with its 3 steps. Frostweave cloth - > Frostweave bolt -> Imbued Frostweave Bolt -> Frostweave bag. 
  • The demand for bags is huge, especially the cheap ones. 
  • Competition is high. 
  • Deposit costs are pretty high, especially for Frostweave bags, so I use a 12h listing.

On an average day, i can usually get about 10g profit pr. Netherweave bag, and if I post 10 bags they all usually sell. With Frostweave bags it's not that simple. Both the competition and demand spikes alot, and often the profit margin is pretty slim. It costs me about 50g to make a Frostweave bag, and with the time-consuming process mentioned above I don't really want to sell them below 63g, ensuring a 13g profit.
I turn off auto-fallback on items with high deposit costs, in this case Frostweave bags.
If the AH is flooded with them at around 50g, I just don't bother.


 This has made me favor Netherweave bags a bit, but it's too early to pass judgement just yet:

  




That spellthread is about 140g profit with the prices on my server. I will be paying attention to this market to polish my posting routines.

No comments:

Post a Comment