Sunday, June 13, 2010

Revisiting the snatch list

One of the first tools you get to know when AH-whoring is the snatch list, the built-in bulk purchase interface of Auctioneer. Set that threshold for that Abyss Crystal to 30g, and you will never miss a shard below it, with mass-purchasing made easy aswell.

The perfect tool. Or is it?
When supply is high, i.e. during the weekends when team China is dumping their Saronite Ore on the AH - it does exactly what you want it to do. It lists up all the stacks below your threshold, sorts them by the category you choose (stack size, bid, buyout, profit, or my favorite - percentage of threshold).

It would look something like this.



Red arrow tells me my list is sorted by percentage of threshold (my highest price), in ascending order - making sure I grab the best deals first. I used to sort by profit until I realized that profit in conjunction with stack size will sometimes skew the list so you will be late for an awesome deal.
That means that the profit of buying a whole stack with something @ 80% of my price is greater than the profit from a single 50%-item, and 50%-items disappears from the AH a hell of a lot quicker than 80%s.

First snatch list lesson: Always start your snatching with an ascending order of percentage, so you can quickly grab the super best deals before moving on to sort by profit and make bulk purchases.

Anyway, inevitably supply dries up in one submarket or the other, and none of the items you want shows up. In this scenario, the only info your snatch-list provides you with is the fact that there exists no items below your purchase-threshold. That's it.


So, where are my precious Eternal Lifes now? When prices go above my threshold I have no overwiev of the market, I don't know if it's 1 gold above it, or some serious server-wide starvation-crisis. At this point I have two options. Either raise my threshold temporarily and re-search, or go do a manual search. Both options are inconvenient at best, and as your list expands you may not even notice that there is a few items missing. So, how do you fix this?

Double your threshold.
I went through my list, double the values for all the items, and did a new search.


Now I get 50% as my new threshold for buying, all the items listed for >50% in my list now are those above my original threshold. Here I can see that the prices of Eternal Life this weekend is up to 20g a piece, 5g above my 15g threshold.
This is information my old snatch-configuration did not give me access to.
I need to adjust my brain to only purchase below the 50-mark, but in return i should get a much better overview of the sub-markets just by snatching. I'll try this out for a week and see if I can find any downsides to doing it this way.

Scoop of the day: I cleared out like 6-7 Golden Pearls for 130g each last night, leaving none left on the AH.
This obviously confused some poor leveling hunter who posted his recently aquired Golden Pearl for 3g in the morning. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment